Sunday 23 December 2007

Epiphanic Rock

Friday 21st December: My last day at work before the New Year and, due to a lack of team Christmas night out, I decided to spend the (late) evening listening to a band with the core of the FNFS (Friday Night Fibbers Squad).

With nothing to whet the appetite actually appearing to Fibbers, we decided to meet at the Roman Bath to see rock covers band Freeway. I'd not seen these before, but had heard good reports. They were excellent, playing a mixture of Whitesnake, Guns 'n' Roses, Free, UFO, Bad Company and a rather good Deep Purple medley. They were joined in the second set by Livvy Sparnenn (Breathing Space, her dad is Freeway's drummer) and she sang a ZZ Top song, which I didn't recognise, and Led Zeppelin's Rock and Roll.

It was towards the end of the show that I had a bit of an epiphany. I was watching the old (well, past middle-aged) men dancing and hand-banging at the front, thinking how slightly ridiculous they looked, when I realised that it was about twenty-five years ago that I saw Whitesnake themselves performing Slide It In (my second ever concert) and that, age-wise, I'm not that far behind them.

Good job I'm still to self-conscious to dance like that, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment