Saturday 5 January 2008

Oh My God I Can't Believe It

Tuesday 1st January: So, a funny thing happened to me on New Year's Day...

At about 1 o'clock in the morning, Debbie and I were watching Jools Holland's Hootenanny show on BBC2. The Kaiser Chiefs were performing and I mentioned to Debbie that I didn't think they would be at that day's Leeds United game. Some of them sit just four rows in front of me and I doubted that they would be able to get back from London in time, assuming that, when the show finished, there would be some sort of party for the many celebrity guests.

However, that afternoon, at the match, one of the band - bass player Simon Rix - was in his usual seat. After a dire performance, at the end of which a much under par Leeds side had been beaten 3:1 by Oldham, I found myself standing close to Mr Rix and decided to try a little light banter. Something along the lines of:

Me - "You got back quick."
Rix (slightly quizzically) - "Yeah."
Me - "Was there not a big p*ss-up after the show?"
Rix - "Yeah, but we decided to come back because we thought the football would be good."
Me - "Oh well. Never mind..."

Recounting the tale the next day at work, one of my colleagues advised me that he had been told that the Hootenanny show is actually recorded in early December. So, either Mr Rix was humouring me (Wikipedia states that the pretence of the show being live is strictly maintained) or he was assuming that we had both been at some New Year's do. I'll probably never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment