Thursday 21 February 2008

What a Cheek!!

Thursday 21st February: It's not often that something fires me up enough to want to rant about it, but a phonecall that I received yesterday has left me fuming.

Last Christmas, as part of my wife's present, I "adopted" a tiger for her through the WWF. To do this, you decide an amount that you want to pay every month for a year. I chose £5. That money is, apparently, used to fund the WWF's work into safeguarding the specific species that you chose to adopt/support.

The phonecall was from a reprensentative of the WWF who thanked me profusely (many times) for my support, asked why I chose to adopt a tiger and told me a little bit about the organisation's results in its work to help Siberian tigers in the wild. So far, all well and good.

Then the bombshell. After just three payments of my annual subscription, I was asked whether I would consider doubling it. When I declined (out of both principle and current financial situation) it was then suggested that I increase the monthly donation by £1.

What a cheek! And, perhaps, the worst thing is that the caller stated that he was being paid a fee for making the calls.

Before this call, I had every intention of taking out another adoption, probably for a different animal, next Christmas. After being hassled like this I will now think twice before giving the WWF more money in this way.

Well done guys! That fund-raising call may just have backfired.

No comments:

Post a Comment