Monday 22 December 2008

Another Bit of Bad Poetry

Friday 19th December:

'Twas the week before Christmas, and all through the town,
Shoppers were laughing as prices came down.
Labour had found financial rules to bend,
In the hopes that the likes of us would more spend.

The "Giggers" and some partners, to get in the mood,
Had arranged to meet up for jolliness and food.

The plan was to meet up at seven, restaurant Bari,
We could have guessed which of the regulars would tarry...

The food it was good, 'tho I wasn't in a hurry,
At lunchtime I'd gone out with work for a curry.
After beef for my starter, a bowl full of pasta,
My tummy was full and others ate faster.

The company was good and the bill very reasonable,
I think we all left feeling just a bit seasonal.

My wife had decided to go home on the bus,
The rest? Well, on to Fibbers for us.
When we got there the evening's show had started,
First band - The ABC Club - had already departed.

Pulled Apart By Horses were into their act.
Fast they played and shouted
their lyrics, that's a fact.
Energetic, loud, fast,
The guitar-playing was.
On stage and off stage in the middle of us.
I liked some of the music, If I was to be honest.
However, nothing for me did the rest.

After a short break in which I drank terrible beer,
The Grammatics took the stage to a bit of a cheer.
Now, this band was better by far than the first.
Not the best that we've seen but by far not the worst.

Influences? Probably more than these two.
But I thought I heard Morrisey and the great U2.

From Sweden, Emilia for them plays the cello.
It makes the music a little more mellow.

Near the end of the set, was added a new voice.
Laura Groves on backing vocals, a very good choice.
Her harmonies were both subtle and sweet,
And the songs she sang on were an extra treat.

At the end of the show we went out into the air.
Who's on at the Bath? Let's wander down there.
We queued to get in until two were let through the door.
Straight out they came. "Funk! Need we say more???!"

Onto the Punchbowl but there was no music playing.
So we stood on a corner, our goodbyes saying.

This poem isn't as long as the one I've based it on.
And it has to be said that I've got some of the scanning wrong.
Now I've run out of things to say that sound right.
So, Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment