Sunday 25 January 2009

Scandal-ous

Friday 23rd of January: Original music and my availability have yet to sync up in 2009. So, despite my lack of appreciation for Miracles and Wonders a couple of weeks ago, tonight saw me at the Roman Bath yet again. This time, however, it was to see Scandal - a band that Roj and I saw last year. (Coincidentally, only Roj and I were out again this time.)

Scandal are a rock and blues covers band and, despite not recognising about half of the stuff that they played (on both occasions) it's the sort of stuff that I like and they are very good at what they do.

On top of that, two members of the band really seem to suit the music. The lead vocals from Ian Mann have that gravelly quality most associated with the blues (at least in my mind) while guitarist Jamie Reynold's plays with the nine-parts-bliss-one-part-sucking-lemons look on his face that a lot of blues guitarists seem to have. (Jamie - if you happen to be reading this, it's meant as a compliment...) Bass-player Ady Ingleby and drummer Alan Hopwood complete the band's lineup.

Tonight's set comprised of songs by Thin Lizzy, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Muddy Waters, ZZ Top, Jimi Hendrix and Lynyrd Skynyrd, among others. All of them were played excellently, including a slightly short version of one of my favourite tracks - Skynyrd's Freebird, which the band play as their encore. (As an aside, always find myself wondering how man people who sing and dance along to Sweet Home Alabama actually own a Lynyrd Skynyrd album, let alone know who actually recorded the track...)

Despite being buffeted by fellow punters - the only places that you can stand in the Roman Bath and see have a decent view of the band puts you in the middle of the main route to either the bar or the toilets - this was a much better gig than my previous one.

Sadly, despite doing aan excellent job of keeping the band stocked with alcohol, the lady who took the photos the last time we saw Scandal failed to produce a camera this time. So, this is still the only picture or me and Roj available on the internet.

Scandal are highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment